Homemade Onion Soup
The old recipes for onion soup have it all wrong — you need more onions in onion soup.
- 5 pounds onions of your choice, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- Beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onions and garlic in the olive oil. Add beef broth.
- Add sauteed mixture to soup pot.
- Add water.
- Cook on low, simmering for 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Homemade Chicken Rice Vegetable Soup
- 3 pounds diced, cooked chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 parsnips, sliced
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 1 red sweet onion, diced
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh parsley, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 1/2 quarts water
- 1 cup rice
- Salt and pepper
- Saute the diced chicken for three minutes only in half the amount of olive oil to sear it.
- Add the chicken to the soup pot.
- Saute the onions and celery in the remaining oil until translucent, then add to the soup pot.
- Add the garlic, bell peppers, parsnips, carrots, parsley and leeks, then add the water. Salt and pepper it.
- Add the rice.
Cover the soup pot and simmer on low for an hour.