COPD and Pneumonia

New Life OutlookNew Life Outlook New Life Outlook
edited October 2014 in Risks

imageCOPD and Pneumonia

Patients with COPD have a higher risk of developing pneumonia and other respiratory illnesses. Pneumonia can lead to respiratory failure in COPD patients.

Read the full story here

Comments

• New to this site so here goes. I was in the hospital for 4 days with pneumonia. During this time I was dosed with heavy IV antibiotics. I was diagnosed 4 years ago with COPD. At my release I was given a round of prednisone. And included albuterol w/ipratropium nebulizer treatments. As of the beginning of this week the doctor put me back on the prednisone 40mgs for 5 days, 30 mgs for 5 days, 20mgs for 5 days and so on. I am also taking Symbicort 160/4.5 and now adding Combivent. I have also been taking Daliresp I have sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure. Does anyone have any suggestions to stay out of the hospital with winter coming? I live in IL.
  • sherriesherrie New Life Outlook
    Hi @lilgi11, perhaps these tips will help you prepare for winter: https://copd.newlifeoutlook.com/handling-cold-weather/, also I'd love to have you share your story if you'd be willing. You can do so at: https://copd.newlifeoutlook.com/submit-your-story. :)
  • Hi I also have COPD. I am new to this site but have been reading some of the things that you all have been saying about STEROIDS. I took them for many years, I also am a diabetic. I was taking 3 different kinds of insulin a day. With steroids & insulin my weight was way up there. My best friend told me that I needed to get off the shots. I did cold turkey. Insulin can cause you to gain to. I did nothing but drink bottle water. And then I had to eat nothing but puree food because of my throat. But I lost almost ,100 pnds in little over yr cause I stopped the shots. I also was able to stop using steroids to. 3yrs ago I lost my husband and had stroke since then had 6 lost some more but I watch what I eat. I do wear o2 & have sleep so now wear a c- pap. May God Bless you all....
  • 8 ounces of water per day????? It says in your article. That's all?

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

New Life Outlook on FacebookSubscribe with Facebook

OR